« Home | Duke " Rape " Case » | Baseball's Back » | April 2006- Majikthise Wins First Phantom Award » | View from 103 Quoted in Slate Magazine » | WTC: 911 Calls » | P2120032 » | raccoon lodge » | Japan Wins World Baseball Classic » | World Baseball Classic: The Empire Strikes Back » | World Baseball Classic - Will the Empire Strike Back? »

Razr and Blackberry


So, a few weeks ago, I gave in and got a Blackberry. The one to the left. Actually, my employer paid for it. I could have had one over a year ago, but I couldn't be bothered. It was one more thing to handle, one more expense to keep an eye on.

But everyone who had one swore by them. One attraction was that when on a short business trip, you can keep an eye on your e-mails without carrying the heavy, cumbersome laptop around. So, two weeks ago I gave in.

So far, I'm very pleased with it. The manual is atrocious to nonexistent, but the controls are so well designed that you can easily figure functionality out.

I did not want too much clutter, so I switched my mobile phone service to the Blackberry device, with Cingular as the provider. They're the same company that does my company's Blackberry data service. Bad move. Don't know it was the fault of the Blackberry or of Cingular, but the signal was not nearly as good as I had enjoyed with Verizon Wireless for two years plus, via a regular cell phone.

So, still in the trial period, I switched out of Cingular and went right back to Verizon Wireless. Verizon has a lousy DSL product, but their wireless network in the US is by far the best. Their CDMA technology does not work in Europe, but I don't care. I live in America, and can live without the damned phone when I'm in Europe.

Don't know why I left Verizon Wireless , a rare lapse from my normal infallibilty.

Today, I recieve my new Verizon phone, the Razr V3c. Its beautiful. Its thin. Ot has a camera and video capability, which will occasionally be useful. It has Bluetooth wireless technology, though I won't be needing that anytime soon.

This could be the start of a beautiful relationship. I signed a two year contract with Verizon Wireless so this phone better be good!